Re: What's a good tool for Stored Procedure/ Package development?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2002 21:23:07 -0500

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, dchamber_at_mindspring.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of a product with syntax highlighting and integrated
> compile that actually uses the fiels system to store your scritps?

We used the idea of sandboxes for each developer. The developer would check out the view source, or proc source, edit and recompile to his hearts content, then when the job was complete, he ran an ant script which built the whole thing. If the ant build was successful, then he would check his code back in and notify everybody. Then, when they needed to, they sync with perforce and rebuild their sandbox to incorporate his code. The only thing I hated was that ddl changes also were done in a text editor. Bah! The schema should never be changed without the database modeling tool.

For editing, I use Emacs on win2K (or Unix). Very fine syntax highlighting, fantastic modes for interacting with sqlplus, and ant integration from the JDE. I never used the perforce integration, but it has very solid source control support for almost all source control systems (The perforce gui was quite good and I was working on extending my Emacs sql environment). I sure wish the ant integration were a separate package from the Java Development environment, but that is where most users of ant originate from.

--
Galen deForest Boyer