Re: Deploy forms to web without 9iAS - Possible?

From: Chandra Mohan <Chandra.Mohan_at_Oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:47:49 +0530

Hi All,

Since there is a lot of debate going on using 9iDS Forms standalones
with 9iAS, I had a discussion with some of my peers.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, You can deploy Forms and reports
9i using 9iDS. It does come with its own OC4J instance. But this can be
used only for learning/ testing purposes and it cannot be used for publishing
your forms/reports in production environment.

You would need to purchase 9iAS license for production/deployment
environments.

Regards,
Chandra Mohan

Chandra Mohan wrote:

Hi Danny,

9iDS - ( You refering it to dev 9i , is wrong ) comes with
OC4J instance which can be used to deploy large forms
applications on web. There is no need of 9iAS unless you
want to do lots of loadbalancing and advanced stuffs.

You can check the online documentation for more details.
There are many notes on oracle technet for the same.

Danny Ratke wrote:

We are currently running Dev 6i Forms and Reports Listeners that come with
Dev 6i.  I did a test install of Dev 9i and the forms and reports listeners
are there but do not function the same.  The forms listener cannot be
installed as a service.  Appearantly, it requires the Forms Servlet that
comes with 9iAS and all the single sign-on junk.

Is there a way to get around this?  I really have no need for 9iAS.  I just
want to put our forms and reports out to the web.  If Oracle is requiring us
to purchase 9iAS to now do this, at its $47k price tag, that's pretty bogus.

Thanks,

DR