Re: Oracle User Licence ... help me please !!!!

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:04:10 GMT

Juan Miguel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are going to develope an application for one of our clients. We are
> thinking that Oracle could be the DBMS used in this aplication. We are
> thinking in Oracle Database Standard Edition 9i, but when we read the
> documentation in Oracle's website, we see that the licence is paid by the
> number of users("named user plus perpetual") ...
>
> ¿ What users ?
> It refers to the logical users created in the database ? (for example:
> CREATE USER muyuser ....)
> It refers to the number of client pc's that access to the DB ?
> It refers to the number of databases created ?
>
> Our application only need a user in a DB, where can be established
> concurrent connections from several clients (our software creates the
> politic of loging and operations in the system). ¿ Is this posible with a
> one user license ? or ¿ how many licences are needed for 40 PCs connected to
> the DB ?
>
> I came from the Open Source world, and I don´t understant what Oracle or IBM
> means with user licences.
>
> Please, help me.
>
> Thanks

What you read is not true. Oracle has many licensing models. And finding out the various models and which one is best for you is not something you can do in a usenet group.

Phone Oracle and have them send out someone to answer your questions directly and confirm a quotation in writing.

Any advice you get here will be either wrong, irrelevant, or not necessarily true for you in your country.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 22:04:10 CEST

Original text of this message