Re: stacked canvases vs multiple forms

From: Stephan <test_at_test.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:57:13 GMT

In fact you COULD build a whole application in 1 BIG Form. This has several disadvantages:
- the form itself contains simply 'to much to control' -> you loose oversight
- the form-save/compile etc. takes longer and longer - for each block the underlying table MUST exist in the database, so if there are
tables which you don't need you still have to create them because your big form
relies on it somewhere.

From my point of view you have to take a paper and divide you application in modules (functional blocks).
Each block you implement as 1 form. inside a form you use canvases to implement the 'local' functionality

Some guidelines (rougly): NOTE: you CAN create many more

-on 1 form I would say a maximum of 10 datablocks is the limit.
-10 (stacked) canvases is also max.
- forms filesize: i would say : 1 megabyte maximum

Good luck!

Stephan