installer 2.01 fails with "inventory location is invalid" error

From: Bill de la Vega <bdelav_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 15:59:50 -0700

I'm trying to install the Oracle client so I can work on a database.

I downloaded Oracle Enterprise 9.0.1 for Windows and burned it on 3 CDs.

I have a laptop that it will not install on. When I run setup.exe I get the splash screen, then a little java window above it with "Error" for the title, "Inventory location is invalid" for the message and an OK button.

I know the CDs are ok, because the install has succeeded on other machines.

The machine already has 8.0.?? on it. It is owned by my employer and they image the machines. It is Win2k with SP1 and set of "corporate approved" patches and policies - but not SP2 or 3.

These imaged laptops are a giant pain in the butt, and most likely it is the security policy settings or existing Oracle client that are confusing the installer. I am logged in as an administrator.

There doesn't seem to be an install log or anything in the event log.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks. Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 00:59:50 CEST

Original text of this message