Enterprise Manager events question

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 15 Oct 2002 06:13:15 -0700

Hi,

I'm evaluating Enterprise Manager (version 2.2.0.0.0) and the setup here is this:

Console and Management Server on NT4 SP5 on Intel hardware (both on the same box)
Intelligent Agent 8.1.7 running on AIX 4.3.3 on an IBM RS6000 SP node

Generally things are going fairly well but I've noticed what I think is slightly anomalous behaviour in respect of an event I've set up.

I've got a "Fast Segment Growth" event set up, running every 30 minutes and warning if a segment has grown by 2 extents in the previous period and alerting if the growth is 3 extents or more.

I thought I'd test this event by creating a table and growing it rapidly. This I did and waited with bated breath..... Nothing happened. I tried this several times, on different databases and as different users. Nothing happened in every case.

However, when I grew the EXISTING table by a number of extents the alert duly popped up.

Am I correct in my belief that the fast segment growth event will NOT alert if the segment is both created AND grows in one interval between event polling? If so, can that behaviour be modified? I'm guessing it can, by editing the .tcl file on the server which is hosting the Intelligent Agent, but any opinions from EM experts would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Tim Kearsley
Database Manager
Milton Keynes Council Received on Tue Oct 15 2002 - 15:13:15 CEST

Original text of this message