Re: PLSQL pkg runtime Size Limitations?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:35:02 GMT

Raghav Vinjamuri wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a limit on the max size a PLSQL pkg can
> takeup at runtime?
>
> The issue in essence, is that - we have a 3000
> line pkg, that works for 299,999 cases out of
> 300,000 cases.
>
> But, for that 1 case in 300,000, the
> processing breaks down.
>
> - There are no PLSQL exceptions raised.
> - We get a ORA-3113 - "end of file on communication
> channel" error in the front end.
> - Sometimes the db crashes.
>
> There is nothing different in terms of data
> volumes or elements being processed.
>
> However, given the reproducibility of this error,
> it lead us into thinking that there are some
> implicit size restrictions on PLSQL packages.
>
> We have experimented on breaking the package into
> smaller packages, and, per expectations - we do have
> a version that works. It works SOLID.
>
> But, except for this one version that works,
> there are 4 other versions, similarly "downsized",
> that do NOT work.
>
> How do we get a clue into breaking this impasse?
>
> Any pointers/suggestions/comments are gratefully accepted,
> Sincerely,
> -Raghav Vinjamuri

There is a size limit but 3000 lines isn't anywhere near it.

Lets see what we have to work with:

Hardware platform? No.
Operating sytstem? No.
Oracle version and edition? No.
Code sample? No.
Explain Plan? No.

So the best you get is a guess. You are running on UNIX, likely Solaris or HP/UX or Linux and your kernel parameters are not set properly. Go to http://docs.oracle.com. Download the installation instructions and make sure you have them set correctly.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 20:35:02 CEST

Original text of this message