Re: utl_file woes

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 19:33:38 GMT

Eric Kimble wrote:

> platform nt 4.0 sp6a
> version 8.1.7.3 EE
>
> When trying to use utl_file I get an "Invalid Operation" error. in
> reading the newsgroup posts and metalink posts this is due to
> permissions not being set for the user or for the ult_file_dir not being
> set in init.ora. I have verified those items and still getting invalid
> operation error. So as it stands I have the permissions set to everybody
> full control (is on a testing server), and utl_file_dir = * (again
> testing so no big security risk). I have been able to make this work on
> Win2k but can't get it to work on NT 4.0. I have also change to
> utl_file_dir to the main path that i'm working in ( trying to read the
> alert.log) so c:\oracle817 and restarted the server and the listener,
> but am still getting the error. Any other suggestions?

Permission to write to the directory is permission of the owner of the Oracle software ... not permissions for the user.

Make sure that if you log on to the server as the user that installed the Oracle software you can write to that directory.

If yes and it still deoen't workt ... post your init.ora and your code.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 21:33:38 CEST

Original text of this message