oracle + java = slow?

From: (wrong string) éry <ducateg_at_info.bt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:20:55 +0100

[Quoted] [Quoted] String sourceURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = server1.info.bt.co.uk) (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host =
server1) (Port = 1521) ) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = oracle)
(SERVER=DEDICATED) ))";

databaseConnection = DriverManager.getConnection(sourceURL,usr,psw);

The above two lines of java code work but the response is so slow. It takes perhaps fifteen minutes to connect. My personal felling is that there is a problem with Oracle itself on the server. I believe so because other applications connecting to the same Oracle database have similar problems. Is there a way to check the Oracle server. I tried logging in Oracle console and the net manager, I cannot see anything wrong but frankly I do not know where to look.

PS: I know ordinarily the first line should be something like: String sourceURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_server1.info.bt.co.uk:1521:oracle"; but this did not work and the above is the work arround.

many thanks in advance Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 15:20:55 CEST

Original text of this message