Re: SQLizer SQL syntax builder

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:33:21 GMT

David Morse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are looking for about 15 beta tester for our SQLizer tool. SQLizer
> provides a simple intuitive tool for building even the most complex SQL
> queries; no actual knowledge of SQL is required. Only basic knowledge of
> database concepts is required to create queries, save them and modify.
> Queries are built by picking from lists of options and clicking buttons to
> proceed. Only basic keyboard entry is required for literal values, optional
> column headings and special options.
>
> It is written in 100% Java and designed to be used with any database or DB
> application with a JDBC Driver but works great with Oracle.
>
> Dave M.
> dave_at_firstsql.com

Don't be disheartened by the naysayers in this group. If such tools were not useful (or demanded by the user community), do you think Oracle would waste valuable developer time to give us their gui tools (as poor as they sometimes are IMHO)? Yes, sometimes the command line is faster (and back when I worked with Oracle5, that was all you had).

But sometimes I need to do something that I don't do very often ... and can't quite remember the syntax - was that an 'alter system' or 'alter database' command? where does that 'having' clause belong again? - so I go to a gui tool.

In the old days, I had a set of paperback Oracle docs ... easy to locate things ... especially compared to the online docs (even with its search capability that returns unrelated stuff worse than alta vista on a bad hair day). Usually it's easier to search for something on Google than to try to find it on my hard drive. It just ain't as easy to look up things anymore. Sigh.

Most of the regulars on this newsgroup provide helpful tips and advice. Sadly, there are some who don't. Read the ones who do ... and ignore or 'killfile' the ones who don't. I use Mozilla for my newsreader because the newsgroup flames don't look as bad when viewed in the colorful 'skin' I've chosen for it. :)

BTW, I don't have the time to be a fair SQLizer beta tester. Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 23:33:21 CEST

Original text of this message