Re: Software tool to develop front-end application (Visual Basic + SQL*Net)?

From: Anthony Hogan <ahogan-nospam-_at_iespana.es>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:18:50 +0100

Chung Ta wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a novice person in terms of developing a front-end database application
> using tools such as Visual Basic on the client pc accessing Oracle database
> running on the Unix server.
>
> I am familiar with Visual Basic as the front-end tool to access the database
> via ODBC or ADO method. These belong to the group of Microsoft technology.
>
> Somebody mentioned that I could use SQL*Net as the front-end software tool.
> But I don't know whether SQL*Net is a set of development tools that I can
> use to develop front-end database application.
> I am hoping that I can use Visual Basic in conjuction with SQL*Net but
> unsure if this is feasible. I am afraid that when I commit to SQL*Net I have
> to use SQL Form which is one of the development tool from Oracle and I am
> not familiar with this at all.
>
> Am I making sense in the question regarding Visual Basic and SQL*Net in
> developing a front-end database application?
>
> I would appreciate if someone can answer my question or point me to the
> direction where I could obtain further clarification.
>
> Thank you
> Chung

Chung,
SQL*Net (now Net8) is Oracle's communication protocol. It's function is to *enable services and their applications to reside on different computers and communicate as peer applications*. It is quite usual to use VB as the front-end tool against an Oracle DB. Rather than use ODBC directly, you must set up an ODBC-Net8 bridge. The steps involved are quite straightforward:
> Install Oracle client
> Configure the Net8 service name to point at the instance(database).
> Create an ODBC data source using the Oracle controller specifying the service name from step 2

A word to the wise: You *will* need a considerable element of code development on the database side ( referential/data constraints, triggers, functions etc..) If the front-end takes on too much(any) data referential or consistency control you may end up with with an application that uses far more resources than desired :(.

Good luck & hth
Anthony Hogan Received on Fri Sep 27 2002 - 13:18:50 CEST

Original text of this message