Re: startup errormessage on Linux

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:34:41 GMT

Dirk Linden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a startup-problem.
>
> I use Oracle 8.1.7 (Release 3) on Linux.
> When I start svrmgrl, I connect as "internal" to start up the database.
> That works fine.
>
> Then "startup" leads to the error-message that "?/dbs/init_at_.ora" cannot be
> opend.
> So, I use the pfile parameter and tell oracle the path to the init-file:
> startup pfile=?/dbs/inittest.ora (the test-db is named "test")
>
> Now I get another error-message from oracle:
> ORA-07217: sltln: environment variable cannot be evaluated.
> ORA-07217: sltln: environment variable cannot be evaluated.
>
> (I get this message twice, so I suppose there are 2 unknown variables).
>
> But the installation manual tells me, only 2 variables are really required:
> DISPLAY and PATH.
> I checked them, and they seem to work well.
> DISPLAY=10.0.0.198:0.0
> PATH= (includes ORACLE_HOME/bin, /usr/bin, /bin, and the local bin
> directory: /usr/local/bin)
> (In fact, I do not understand the local /bin-directory. Should this be a
> directory under the
> oracle-application-mountpoint? Or is this really a directory on the
> Linux-Mountpoint "/"?
> I dont know but I set it to /usr/local/bin).
>
> Could it be that I must set something like
> ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_OWNER?
> Or could the PATH be wrong? (I think not)
>
> Could the rights for "internal" be inusufficient to startup? (I think not)
>
> Maybe I have forgotten a pre-installation task?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Dirk

Before trying to start oracle try this at the UNIX prompt:

export ORACLE_BASE=<the full path from root to Oracle base>
export ORACLE_HOME=<the full path from root to Oracle home>
export ORACLE_SID=<sid_name>

If it still doesn't work I'll be surprised. Be sure the init.ora for this instance is at $ORACLE_HOME/dbs too.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 17:34:41 CEST

Original text of this message