startup errormessage on Linux

From: Dirk Linden <dirk.linden_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:00:14 +0200

Hi,

[Quoted] I have a startup-problem.

I use Oracle 8.1.7 (Release 3) on Linux. When I start svrmgrl, I connect as "internal" to start up the database. That works fine.

Then "startup" leads to the error-message that "?/dbs/init_at_.ora" cannot be opend.
So, I use the pfile parameter and tell oracle the path to the init-file: startup pfile=?/dbs/inittest.ora (the test-db is named "test")

Now I get another error-message from oracle: ORA-07217: sltln: environment variable cannot be evaluated. ORA-07217: sltln: environment variable cannot be evaluated.

(I get this message twice, so I suppose there are 2 unknown variables).

But the installation manual tells me, only 2 variables are really required: DISPLAY and PATH.
I checked them, and they seem to work well. DISPLAY=10.0.0.198:0.0
PATH= (includes ORACLE_HOME/bin, /usr/bin, /bin, and the local bin directory: /usr/local/bin)
(In fact, I do not understand the local /bin-directory. Should this be a
directory under the
oracle-application-mountpoint? Or is this really a directory on the Linux-Mountpoint "/"?
I dont know but I set it to /usr/local/bin).

Could it be that I must set something like ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_OWNER? Or could the PATH be wrong? (I think not)

Could the rights for "internal" be inusufficient to startup? (I think not)

Maybe I have forgotten a pre-installation task?

Thanks for any help

Dirk Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 10:00:14 CEST

Original text of this message