Re: ORA-12154

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:14:40 GMT

Huguette Lamesse wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I get this error when I am trying to get data from Access to get in Oracle
> database.
> The error is ODBC - CALL FAILED
> ORA-12154 Tns:Listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect
> descriptor.
> Please someone helpe me.
>
> Thank you

Go to c:\oracle\ora81\bin assuming you have 8i (something you didn't state) and perform the following:

tnsping <service_name>

Post the response and a copy of your tnsnames.ora file that you will find in c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin along with the service name (or sid) of the database you are connecting to and the server's name or IP address.

My guess is that you either have no tnsnames.ora or that it is invalid for what you are trying to do.

Also be sure to provide the full edition and version of the Oracle instance and your operating system.

Daniel Morgan

<rant>
Why is it so bloody impossible for people to post version, edition, and operating system information?
</rant> Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 17:14:40 CEST

Original text of this message