Re: Newbie question coming from SQL Server environment

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:21:50 GMT

kgoff_at_worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Hi, all...
>
> I've been using SQL Server 2000 for a commercial product that we're
> developing. It has about 10 update triggers and about a dozen stored
> procedures.
>
> To increase our potential market share, we need to support Oracle in the
> future. I need to find out if the stored procs and triggers that I wrote
> will run under Oracle. I downloaded the personal version of Oracle 9 from
> their Web Site to start experimenting.
>
> Sorry this will sound like really amateur question, but...
>
> - Is Personal Oracle the right version for me to be able to upload large
> data files, and then test out update triggers and stored procs?
>
> - Is the general UI for Personal Oracle close enough to Enterprise Manager
> and Query Analyzer?
>
> Any additional thoughts on what I might need to know? I've worked in
> Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer for about 2 years...but I've never
> touched Oracle to this point.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Nothing you did under SQL Server will be worth more than about the cost of a tall latte' moved to Oracle. The underlying architecture is completely different. Any attempt to duplicate SQL Server into Oracle will likely generate compiled functional code that will be insecure, corrupt data, perform poorly, scale even worse, and make Oracle professionals look around for the exit while laughing hysterically.

Get Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read at least the first three chapters before spending even one more second at the keyboard. I would also strongly suggest going to http://docs.oracle.com and downloading and reading everything you can find on architecture.

If you don't understand the implications of the following statements:

1. multi-versioning
2. readers don't block writers
3. writers don't block readers
4. no temporary tables
5. no lock escallation ever

You should not even log on.

When you are ready go to http://store.oracle.com and get the Demo Pack of Oracle 9.2 Enterprise Edition.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Aug 28 2002 - 18:21:50 CEST

Original text of this message