Re: Text_IO vs. UTL_FILE vs. dbms.output

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 18:40:07 -0700

In article <1e0b5621.0208271207.7c6659fa_at_posting.google.com>, rgkenneysr_at_cs.com says...

>Hello,
>
>I am writing a procedure that creates a report; the procedure is
>stored on a Unix box. I need to run it from a Windows box using Forms
>6 and the output needs to be written to the client pc. I know that
>Text_IO will do this, however, we don't have the package installed on
>our systems. I also know that UTL_FILE won't work for me because I
>don't have the dir path in my init.ora and since this is a production
>db, I can't take it down to put it in at this moment. My question is
>this: other than dbms.output (which looses it formatting) is there
>another way to do this task?
>
>Thanks

I don't understand what you mean by "dbms_output loses the formatting" unless you are actually running this from sqlplus and not from forms.

If you run from sqlplus,

set serveroutput on size 1000000 format wrapped

and see what happens.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/