Re: New SqlPlus type utility available for download

From: Jennifer <sweetiwpie183_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2002 21:57:05 -0700

"Steve Mitchell" <stevem_at_hdcsi.com> wrote in message news:<ezva9.6161$9G1.621438157_at_newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>...
> It's unfortunate that Oracle--as a proponent of Java--is producing tools
> that give Java a bad name. I agree that the Java tools that Oracle puts out
> are lacking.

"Laking" is a very polite way of saying they simply suck. OEM has a lot of functionality but nothing that TOAD doesn't have yet loading OEM calls for a taking a coffee break. And many of TOAD's OEM-like features best OEM's in many ways. The database creation wizard and Loader interface are good examples of this. Procedure Builder is simply awful and I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that statement.

Yet, Sql*Plus was the one Oracle tool which I, as a TOAD users, still found myself using to execute scripts. Which is the reason for my original posting, to point out that a Sql*Plus alternative now exists developed by a team that has proven that it listens to it's users (as opposed to those who promise to listen with releases at some unknown [Quoted] date in the next two years). I've already made two requests to the TOAD team and received the enhancements within a week. Can the Sql*Plus gurus in this forum promise to do the same thing? That's the sort of of attention to users which has made TOAD the defacto industry standard Oracle tool today.

Speed -- in addition to functionality -- is primary criteria by which I judge a tool. A tool ceases to be a tool if I have to watch an hourglass spin for minutes or hours. How many us us has launched multiple copies of Oracle's Installer because it is so slow to load that you didn't think it was loading from the first instance?

This new QuestSqlPlus is under 600K, runs all of my scripts, and loads instantaniously. So why would I care if my suggestions eventually make Sql*Plus a better tool? Thankfully, I now have a decent tool to replace the last remaining Oracle tool in my bag of utilities. And I'll get my job done faster because of it. If Quest would just remove the expriation entirely, Sql*Plus would be a mere memory a year from now. Received on Tue Aug 27 2002 - 06:57:05 CEST

Original text of this message