Re: New SqlPlus type utility available for download

From: jim <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:27:47 GMT

"Jennifer" <sweetiwpie183_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f29fd891.0208211151.7f6b7f38_at_posting.google.com...
> I just noticed that the Toadman has released a SqlPlus type utility
> that looks like a mini-TOAD from the early days. It's free with a 90
> day expiration date (sigh). From my testing so far, it's nearly
> SqlPlus compatible with the added benefit of a fullscreen editor.
> Let's hope Quest keeps it free like the freeware TOAD. I'd prefer
> they even remove the expiration timer entirely!
>
> Anyway, It's at www.toadsoft.com on the main page if you want to take
> a look at it.

The full url is www.toadsoft.com/qsqlplus.zip

The reason this product was written was to provide the ability within TOAD to launch scripts outside of the main TOAD thread. Using a separate executable to do so was the best approach. Once we had the separate app, I realized that it had freeware use beyond the TOAD community so I dressed it up a bit, included filename recall, the ability to save script filenames to a list for reuse, etc., and stuck it on the web for download. It is free but has the same dated expiration as the freeware (a Quest mandate) but the expiration is 90 days rather than TOAD's 60 day (that was a Quest management decision -- I wanted it to run unlimited).

Often, a developer or consultant finds themselves sitting at a machine that doesn't have any tools beyond Sql*Minus and even the free TOAD download can take a while if you have a bad connection. This app is currently at about 550K to download and provides editing functionality and script output identical to the current commercial TOAD (actually, it's a bit ahead of TOAD since the script engine has been updated for 7.4).

It just made sense to me to make it available for download and with the small size, it could easily be emailed to co-workers or friends. It requires no setup and no support files.

Just wanted to clarify the issue a bit.

Jim,
aka Toadman Received on Sat Aug 24 2002 - 19:27:47 CEST

Original text of this message