Re: Loading a Ascii file

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:33:45 -0600

Peter -

[Quoted] It would have been nice if you'd mentioned your bias against SQL*Loader in your very first note in this thread. The various responders would not have wasted their time recommending SQL*Loader.

If you're out to reinvent the world, please proceed. If your goal instead is to load the data as quickly and efficiently as possible and get on with your "real" work, then you and your boss need to take a closer look at the already-existing tools. SQL*Loader is quite flexible, and it can handle [Quoted] comma separated fields from MS Excel with ease. Yes, you may have to create a number of SQL*Loader control files to handle the various input formats, but what's the alternative? IMO, you'll spend much, much, much more time and money developing your own "intuitive" interface than using what's already available.

Tom