Re: nls_lang registry-key in NT different client/server

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:43:46 -0400

I'm not sure if 7.3 has support for the AL24UTFFSS (UTF) character set; you may need to go up to 8.X. Oracle expanded the UTF capabilities at 8.X and 9.X. At 9.X I think all NLS types are fixed to use UTF only.

I believe that the NLS_LANG parameter, either in the environment or registry, just controls the client side, and may cause character set conversions, if possible, when going between the client and DB, or it may error if not possible.

In any case, the DB needs to be created with one of the UTF character sets specified for the standard or NLS character sets. You may be able to use a form of "alter database" to modify an existing DB, but backup first as its a one way thing. If not, create a new DB with proper character sets and export/import.

To determine your existing database configuration, run: "select * from v$nls_parameters"
Pay attention to values for NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_CHARACTERSET, which correspond to the standard and NLS character sets. If one of these is not a UTF set, you'll need to recreate or convert the DB.

--Peter