Re: Newbie JSP and iAS Questions - Pls Help

From: Phil McLaughlin <mclaugp_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 06:12:37 -0700

Roy

Given that for non production (e.e prototypes) you can use JDeveloper for free it makes little sense to have to assemble your own working environment (unless you really want to ;-)

Bear in mind that some of the more difficult aspects of J2EE development are not the basic text editing or even Java programming requirements but the integration, deployment, testing and debugging

JDeveloper has wizard support for much of this & is tied into the Oracle DB quite nicely

JDeveloper comes with an instance of OC4J (The J2EE App server product) as part of the standard install, but you can also deploy to BEA, JBoss via wizards as well - One thing I would NOT reccomend is editing deployment descriptors using notepad / vi / whatever - JDeveloper has a nice UI for that job embedded

want Web services ? - its there too

Also the TopLink mapping workbench will be bundled in (it used to cost 3000 USD from Webgain)

a very comprehensive tool - free for prototye but only 995 USD for production use - value for money I think (mind you im biased ;-)

If you are in the UK please contact me directly for more info or hang on for a week or so becuase Oracle will be hosting some seminars aimed at folks such as yourself

regards

Phil.Mclaughlin_at_oracle.com
Business Development Manager
UK 9iAS Solutions

+44 7764 659 064

(In my last life I was a WebGain principal consultant & before that a principal for a WebSphere consultancy - I was sufficiently impressed by the Oracle products to join the comany)