Re: Newbie Questions

From: <abc_at_iom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 05:49:28 GMT

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 04:38:06 GMT, Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nosp.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mike Dwyer wrote:
>
>> I'm well versed in SQL2000. New to Oracle 9i.
>> I'm used to the GUI tools that SQL2000 has to offer. Don't like the
>> standard ones in Oracle.
>>
>> What are some good "Can't live without" GUI tools for querying,
>> manipulating schemas, etc?
>>
>> What are some good websites to go to for advice/info (e.g. SWYNK.com
>> for MSSQL)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -Mike
>
>There are literally dozens of GUI's out there, TOAD, Embarcadero, EZSQL,
>just to name a few.
>
>It depends what you want to do most with them, if you simply want a query
>tool, use ms access via ODBC if you want an MS "feel" to it.
>
>As far as anything else, adding datafiles etc. then DBA studio does the job
>for just about anything you want to do.
>
>If you are expecting it to be as "dumbed-down" (for lack of a better term,
>I'm tired) as SQLServer then you are in for a surprise. (I work with both).
>
>Do yourself a favor if you are going to be taking on admistering Oracle,
>learn to work from a command prompt (SQLPLUS), in time you'll find you can
>do a lot more than with a GUI for things like querying & ad-hoc reporting
>and its a lot more flexible.
>
>A google search will find plenty of GUI tools you can play with as well.
>
>good luck

[Quoted] [Quoted] Thanks for the info. I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I like to use the command line mode for banging out queries. But I have terrible short term memory! I like to be able to see the objects in a tree (e.g. table names, field names, etc). Otherwise, If I forget something, I'm back at the command prompt to enter another query to get the name of a column, for instance. I find that OEM is good for many things. However, I find it cumbersome in that you can't pull up details on a table and get to Constraints, Triggers, and Indexes from that one place. You have to navigate different parts of the tree to see indexes or triggers, for instance.

The thing that I find the most annoying is looking at data in SQL*PLUS. I would kill to have a grid like MS's QA. Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 07:49:28 CEST

Original text of this message