Re: Newbie Questions

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 15:41:33 +1000

Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nosp.yahoo.com> writes:

> Mike Dwyer wrote:
>

> > What are some good "Can't live without" GUI tools for querying,
> > manipulating schemas, etc?
> >
> > What are some good websites to go to for advice/info (e.g. SWYNK.com
> > for MSSQL)?
> >
> Do yourself a favor if you are going to be taking on admistering Oracle,
> learn to work from a command prompt (SQLPLUS), in time you'll find you can
> do a lot more than with a GUI for things like querying & ad-hoc reporting
> and its a lot more flexible.

Could not agree more - learn sqlplus because although its not a flashy graphics tool, its always there. A bit similar to what I was told when first learning unix - learn vi because it will nearly always be available. Also, some graphics tools don't keep up support for the latest oracle features etc. As an example, today a co-worker found the "create library" command would not work correctly from within TOAD, but it worked fine for him from within sqlplus.

Tim

--
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;