Re: Oracle heterogeneous data access under UNIX

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:56:59 -0600

Jimbo -

Regarding your first question...

Yes, there's a way. New with Oracle9i, one can create a table that accesses a file in the operating system. In Oracle-speak, it's called an "external table." You can use the "organization external" clause on the "create table" command to create a sort of metadata in the database that refers to the actual data that resides outside of the database. There are a number of restrictions on external tables (not surprising, of
course), but it seems pretty neat. I've never seen an external table in action, and I'd be interested in your review of the functionality.

For details, look in chapter 15 of the "Oracle9i Database Administrator's
Guide, Release 1 (9.0.1)", Oracle part number A90117-01, or the Oracle9i Release 2 doc.

For your second question...

This sounds like a job for Mr. Transparent Gateway and his band of super gateways.

Thanks,
Tom