Re: TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:43:05 +0200

"TAMP" <psp4_2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b2b07209.0208121903.5a872635_at_posting.google.com...
> It is an interesting case that I am using Windows 2000 Prof with
> Oracle 8i client installed.
>
> I can connect to Oracle application normally after a PC restarted but
> not last over 1 day (e.g. the next morning). Then there will be no
> connection to any Oracle host.
>
> I used TNSPING command to ping the host and receive the error:
> "TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not
> exist". But I still can ping the host normally at DOS prompt. The
> TNSNAMES.ORG is still there without changed.
>
> Now, the only solution is to restart the PC.
>
> Any idea of the connection lost? And how to force it connect to
> Oracle host without restarting PC?
>
> Thanks.
>
> TAMP
Smells like database running on a NT server with a DHCP IP address. DHCP will expire the lease to the address, and assign a new IP address Obviously, database servers should have a fixed IP. Definitely your client is having the wrong IP address (they are translated once by Oracle)

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA