Re: Graphical Tool to Describe Database Contents

From: Dale Edgar <Dale_at_DataBee.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:50:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Steve

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:36:02 +0200, "Steven" <steven.pannell_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good tool that is able to describe my database
>(tables, indexes) in a graphical format. i.e. a tool which connects to the
>database (or export) extracts the contents and shows, tables, columns and
>their foreign key relationships in a graphical format. I don't really want
>to draw it I would prefer a tool which did the whole thing automatically.

If an HTML tree of the contents would be acceptable you could use the freeware DBATool.

Otherwise you are probably looking at a fair amount of expense and a significant learning curve. The software you want is usually part of an entity-relationship modeller. Typically, when pulling an existing schema, these types of software produce a rats nest of relationships and rely on you (the user) to drag them into a nice layout.

DBATool: http://www.DataBee.com/dt_home.htm

Regards
Dale Edgar
Dale_at_DataBee.com