Re: Saving database data in a file on the client PC - How?

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:56:39 +0200

Tony Matthews wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how (or even if?) I can run a pl/sql procedure within a
> form to create a header followed by a set of data, and have the resultant
> output end up in a file of the users choice on their Desktop PC.
>
> We are using Forms 6 in a three tier configuration (database server
> machine, forms server machine, client browser PC). Intermediate files on the
> forms server are not permitted, so the data has to come straight from the
> database to the client browser PC.
>
> Can this be done, and if so can anyone provide any pointers as to how to do
> it (or even a freebie that does it already). This is all at the limits of my
> experience, so I may well be asking a very stupid question!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tony Matthews
>
> To reply by e-mail, remove SpamJam from my address
> -- --

[Quoted] You should put the file where your web server can find it, and then the form gives a web.show_document.

The user's browser will ask him: you were sent file blabla, what do you want to do with it: open it, save it, shove it?

It looks a bit simple as a solution, but I thought I'd mention it.

--

Gerard H. Pille