Re: SQL*NET

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:34:28 +0200

On 6 Aug 2002 11:40:38 -0700, klatzkin_at_dsg-inc.com (Charlie Klatzkin) wrote:

>Programmatically, how can I tell what version of Oracle a user has
>installed
>on their machine? I really need to know which version of SQL*NET is
>installed, so I can install the proper version of Oracle Objects.
>
>Most users will have 7.3.4 (or .5) and 8.0.5 Or is there an easier
>way to do this? I am installing oipxx.dll, oipxx.tbl, and oraansi.dll
> (xx depicts different versions)

There is no programatically consistent, version independent way to check out which version has been installed You are also talking about versions which have been desupported years ago, and in the mean time Oracle has stopped using version dependent executable names.
In a typical 7.3 or 8.0 client you would find a file called orawin<xx>.dll which is the basic driver through which *all* access goes.
In 8i and higher you can only hope one used the OFA conventions during installation and you end up with a directory c:\oracle\ora<xx>

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Aug 06 2002 - 22:34:28 CEST

Original text of this message