Designer 6i API : JR_NAME : Getting the ID from the Path

From: enquiry <noone_at_hometownz.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:52:22 +0000 (UTC)

Can anyone give me any examples or clues as to how to get the IRID/IVID using the path for an object via the JR_NAME package in the Application Programming Interface of Designer 6i? (Any version)

I can get the path from the IRID/IVID, but when I try it the other way around there are problems because the path can be non-unique. i.e. It returns the same path for an Entity object called WIBBLE as it does for a Table object called WIBBLE though, they obviously have different internal IDs.

So, the PATH is got like this:

--

set serverout on
set verify off

Path=MYAPP/WIBBLE

--

But when I try reversing the process using path to get to ID, path isn't unique so I get a null return.

i.e.:
--

set serverout on
set verify off

  jr_name.get_rid_vid('&path', o_irid, o_ivid);
  dbms_output.put_line('Irid='||i_irid);
  dbms_output.put_line('Ivid='||i_ivid);
END;
/
Enter value for path: MYAPP/WIBBLE

< For which an Entity called WIBBLE also exists > ...
Irid=
Ivid=
--

How do I qualify the Object type into the JR_NAME package to get the ID for either the table or the entity, making the selection unique?

My overall aim is to tag on some User Extensibility data onto the main object types (in the 20 "free" slots) so I need to be able to use the object names to get the unique IDs to then use the "upd" of the various object types.

Thanks in advance for any help (please post to newsgroup, please - thanks again).

Mark Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 19:52:22 CEST

Original text of this message