Re: Saving database data in a file on the client PC - How?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2002 12:14:10 -0700

"Tony Matthews" <tony.matthews_at_SpamJam.ds-s.com> wrote in message news:<3d44ce43_at_cpns1.saic.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how (or even if?) I can run a pl/sql procedure within a
> form to create a header followed by a set of data, and have the resultant
> output end up in a file of the users choice on their Desktop PC.
>
> We are using Forms 6 in a three tier configuration (database server
> machine, forms server machine, client browser PC). Intermediate files on the
> forms server are not permitted, so the data has to come straight from the
> database to the client browser PC.
>
> Can this be done, and if so can anyone provide any pointers as to how to do
> it (or even a freebie that does it already). This is all at the limits of my
> experience, so I may well be asking a very stupid question!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tony Matthews
>
> To reply by e-mail, remove SpamJam from my address
> -- --

If I understand you correctly,
You want to have client A making a request to Database A to generate a file with some data to send it back to Client A.

In theory it is doable and also programatically you can do it too by programming all that stuff in your database. However, in my opinion it is a bad design to have your database involve itself in copying files to client machines.

This kind of functionality is best suited to be programmed into client...specially when you are accessing the database via a browser. In this scenario, you will have client A making a request to Database A to select some data. Once the data is on the client machine in a resultset, you can spool all that to a file of your choice.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 21:14:10 CEST

Original text of this message