Re: Forms 6i patch 6 and up: Why are they so HUGE

From: <guy.dallaire-nospam_at_criq.qc.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:27:04 GMT

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:35:08 +0200, "Gerard H. Pille" <ghp_at_skynet.be> wrote:

>It's easier for Oracle if they just dump everything together, no
>selections to be made during installation. Compare to 9iAS, eg.
>
>On the other hand, if a PC comes with 40Gb to start with, what is 2Gb?

Yes I know, but backuping 2Gb more from a SERVER takes some time and more tape. At 100$ a cartridge, its better to use less tape.

Oracle plainly botched the job since patch 6. They should NOT pack the entire RDBMS distribution with a development product. I don't think I need the rdbms documentation, nor enterprise manager to use forms !

>But if you (and I) are running systems that go a couple of years back,
>it is a pain somewhere down below.
>
>Once installed, if you have time, there is a lot you can remove.

Yes maybe, but at least, they should tell us what we can remove.

>On some of my systems, I have to do that WHILE installing, lest I run
>out of space.
>
>--
>
>Gerard H. Pille

Note: Please remove -nospam from my e-mail address to reply Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 19:27:04 CEST

Original text of this message