Re: Oracle and Visio

From: Charles <no email>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:33:07 -0500

>In the meantime they have clearly demonstrated they know nothing about
>Oracle. It is quite common for those developers to *demand*
>root-access, to screw up the server, and leave us with repairing the
>shambles.

You don't give them that access do you? All I've ever asked for is read-only access and that was only because I needed to monitor some of the scripts. The DBA's don't even try to hide the passwords anymore as they know I wouldn't use them anyway.

>All developers I have been working with for the last 4 years largely
>confirm to that profile.

Does that include the truely experienced ones as well? I would think that the more experience a developer had, the more inclined they would be to use any available resource available. I'm lucky and work with 2 DBA's that do an excellent job and are very easy to work with.

>I don't know any DBA how wants to work like that. I've known many
>DBAs, including myself, who have become highly frustrated by those
>morons.

I've seen this in how other teams treat their DBA's too. But I've found the problem typcially to be developers with 5 or so years experience - putting them at the point where they know everything. Amazing how they act about the same as my 13 and 15 year old kids. Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 16:33:07 CEST

Original text of this message