Re: Upgrade Breaks Auth=none?

From: DaveHowe <DaveHowe_at_bigfoot>
Date: 24 Jul 2002 17:46:20 GMT

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in news:gpkgjukrbhcapsh2tv1s14ibs84llufjof_at_4ax.com:

> On 19 Jul 2002 10:00:42 GMT, DaveHowe <DaveHowe_at_bigfoot> wrote:
>

>>Got a small problem; we are running an 8i server as the backend for a
>>closed source package we bought in, that connects to it via odbc. Up to
>>now, we were running on 8.1.5 sqlnet client, which initially would give
>>us a ORA-01004 error, but the stock fix for this (setting
>>SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) in SQLNET.ora) worked fine.
>>A recent upgrade to a different system gave us a 8.1.7 server on the
>>network, so naturally I tried to install systems accessing both servers
>>with the 8.1.7 client. However, despite trying the (NONE) tweek,
>>deleting the line entirely and other google-search-inspired fiddling
>>with a test machine, I am still getting 01004's.
>>Is there a bug in 8.1.7, is the functionality now elsewhere, or am I
>>missing something important?

> Any reason why you don't post the error message text? If you think it will help - the exact error text is [ORA-01004: default username feature not supported; logon denied]

The cause of the error is simple - SQLNET is expecting to use an existing trust relationship (usually NT domain login) to authenticate, but is failing to do so. The *standard* fix for this was to tell SQLNET not to try to use any third party authentication services - thus causing it to fall back on the username/password pair. however, for some reason the line in SQLNET.ora that forces this change doesn't seem to work in 8.1.7 - despite working perfectly in 8.1.5.
The SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) line was the only one I could find after a search of the web - an example would be http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&frame=right&th= 52362fd4020e428d&seekm=9vdoqm%242r4%241%40news.planetinternet.be#link1

(I know that is unclickable - try this)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2F111851

> Or do you expect the group to look it up for you? No, I thought it would just be unhelpful noise, and it seemed the real question was if SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) had been superceeded by some other option (or supplimented by some other option). Received on Wed Jul 24 2002 - 19:46:20 CEST

Original text of this message