Re: runInstaller gives:bash: ./runInstaller: bad interpreter: Permission denied (RH 7.1/Oracle 8.1.6)

From: Kelly <kgrigg_at_diamonddata.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2002 11:44:06 -0700

Ok, I did a kludge to solve my problem. I fired up the 9i installer I have on another machine I'm mapped to, and put the 8i cd in my local drive. When the installer ask the location of the .jar files...I pointed it to my 8i cd...and did the install that way.

A couple of things...while linking..I got an error. When I installed in the past from the 816 installer and disk...I had to do the following:
1. When you get errors from OUI installer, open a window, and cd to the Oracle
Home installation target location on your harddrive. 2. Use editor to modify $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh file, to remove"-z defs"
from it(near bottom: library section).
(just search for it...it is part of some other command...I deleted the text
and left the two double quotes that enclosed this line. 3. Then run this script $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh to create Oracle libraries.
and click on 'retry' bottom to continue.

However, when I did this this time...it did not work..so, did a little more investigating, and found that there was a 'bad soft link' in the lib directory. It had
libclntsh.so -> libclntsh.so.9.0
I didn't see a libclntsh.so.9.0, but I did see a libclntsh.so.8.0 in this directory, so, I dropped the link..and recreated it pointing to the '8' file....then went back to the OUI, and clicked retry...this then worked.

It seemed to get hung on the Net8 config. asst., so I exited out of the OUI....
I already had a tnsnames that worked..so, with that in place...I tried out sqlplus, imp and exp (the only tools I installed)....and they all seem to work so far.....so, this is a successful workaround (with some kludges)...that worked for me..however I was NOT installing a database...so, there may be more issues.

One thing...what was causing the bad interpreter message in the first place? Why would it work once...and months later, stop working and give this messages? Is the interpreter it is referring to the shell or the Java it is trying to run?

Would be interested in these answers if anyone has them. And, just wanted to post them here in case others have this problem.

Kelly
kgrigg_at_diamonddata.com