HELP! - Need something to insert new CLOB to Oracle

From: Chris D. <defrankc_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 13:22:39 -0700

Hello:

[Quoted] I'm looking for any tips, examples, anything at all that would help me to figure out a way to add a CLOB to an Oracle database using my own application that I am developing.

What I am trying to do is this: I am trying to transfer several hundred MBs worth of textual data into records in an Oracle database. I have this text data delimited already, but two of the "fields" are extremely large and thus need to be put into CLOBs (we are performing indexing on these fields once in Oracle as well).

I can find no easy way to insert new rows that include CLOBs into the database. I have tried Visual C++ and the various Oracle tools available there and find that it does not work. I have also tried Visual Basic, and while I have gotten two programs working with it (one using ODBC and the other OO4O), VB seems to have a terrible time allocating, and more precisely de-allocating memory so I have a continuous memory leak that eventually brings down the program after it has run thru only about 100k records.

I'm sure what I am doing is not unique, i.e adding new data records that include CLOBs to Oracle, and I am just looking for any help I can get as to what direction I should go to make this work. I've been banging my head off these various items for 3 weeks now to no avail. Thanks so much!!! Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 22:22:39 CEST

Original text of this message