Runtime Definition Error

From: Bob Campbell <bc21_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 00:28:49 -0400

[Quoted] I am getting the following runtime error while trying to run CGI's on a RS6000 client, attempting to talk to an Oracle database on a RS6000 server...

"Symbol [xxx] was reference from module [my shared object module]
but no runtime definition was found."

In this case, there are 43 symbols listed (on separate lines) in the error log with names like sbtopen, sbtinit, naectc, kpuexe, and the like.
Not 100% sure what these are, but I suspect they are from somewhere deep in the bowels of the Oracle 8.0.5 stuff I linked with.

I have inherited an entire system compiled on earlier versions of AIX, Oracle, the compiler (VisualAge, I think) with the usual orgy of flags, options, conditions, and heartburn that comes with so many upgrades.

An attempt to execute my CGI in Netscape yields this error...
"Premature end of script headers."

The shared object module consists of 34 C source modules. There are 131 CGI files. All of these link in some - but not all - of the Oracle libraries.

Are there some flags, techniques, tips that anyone can offer here to assure that a symbol found in the shared library has a runtime definition? What combination of the 7 million pages of compiler flags would be best to try first? :-)

Thanks.

-Bob Campbell- Received on Tue Jul 02 2002 - 06:28:49 CEST

Original text of this message