Re: weibull analysis in oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:07:13 GMT

dnh wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:44:57 GMT, Daniel Morgan
> <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >dnh wrote:

> >> <snip>
> >> >

> >> Weibull analysis isn't a product, it's a method for modelling datasets
> >> to make predictions about a products life, give failure rates,
> >> statistically establish warranty periods etc.
> >>
> >> I'm looking for some pl/sql code to do the job or I'll have to do it
> >> myself. I just don't want to "reinvent the wheel"
> >>
> >> nigel
> >> -------------------------------------------------
> >> Remove underscore to reply to nigel_h_at_iname.com
> >> -------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Well if you go to http://www.weibull.com at least one group of people will
> >disagree. And the original poster gave no indication otherwise.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
> >

> Well, they're wrong, weibull analysis and the weibull family of
> distributions was named after Waloddi Weibull, a Swedish engineer who
> published a paper in 1939. I could educate you more about it's earlier
> history, but I won't!
>
> www.weibull.com may well promote a product using the method but
> Weibull is *definitley* not a product!
>
> btw, my original post gave no indication otherwise of what??
>
> sigh! All I want is some code to save writing it myself!
>
> bye 4 now
> nigel
> Remove underscore to reply to nigel_h_at_iname.com

No indication of whether you were talking about the product by that name or about the analytical technique in a more academic manner.

So I guess one answer to your not writing the code yourself ... would be to buy the product which does run on Oracle. And as they get money to layer their product on top of an Oracle database you can likely conclude that Oracle does not contain the functionality they are selling.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 17:07:13 CEST

Original text of this message