Re: Oracle & Modem

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:06:42 +0100

If you have ORACLE_SID set then you don't need to use TNSNAMES at all. Just issue connect username/password in sqlplus. If you do want to use a tnsnames alias then you need to configure your listener to listen on the IPC protocol as well as/instead of the TCP protocol and then modify the tnsnames.ora to use IPC not TCP. This can all be done using the net manager/net assistant applet from the Oracle program groups in your start menu.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA