Re: using migration assistant

From: Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:17:44 -0400

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:22:57 GMT, Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm about to upgrade a 7.3.3 database to 8.1.7 and since I have a bit of
>time to do this,I am considering using the migration assistant rather then
>export/import.

Normally you upgrade the database in place. Make sure you have a backup before you upgrade. Import export can be very slow, especially if you import with constraints.

>However, I notice that the migration assistant only lists the instances
>that I have on the machine itself running as services, which makes no sense
>to me, why would I have a 7.x instance running on my 8.1.7 box? There
>doesnt seem to be a way to point the assistant at the 7.3 instance on a
>different machine. I want to do this more for seeing how it works as much
>as anything.

Why would you have separate boxen for different versions of Oracle? Unless you are on MSDog of some flavor. I often work with multiple versions of Oracle on the same box, especially during upgrade scenarios.

On UNIX I have always worked with an Oracle home of the flavor ../product/#.#.#. In your case you would have 7.3.x and 8.1.7 directories on your server. This gives you the option to upgrade databases one at a time. Once you have no more 7.3 databases you can uninstall the 7.3.x software. When you are ready to upgrade to 9i you would create a 9.x.x directory and again upgrade your databases one at time.

The advantage is that your applications don't loose track of your databases.

/Bill