Re: Oracle Names Server (error during the startup)

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:27:00 GMT

In article <8mveguc7np52e21jtbaqgumuf89ns4akp3_at_4ax.com>, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon-verwijderdit.nl wrote:

Sybrand, you commonly jump all over people that don't take the time to go to the documentation first. For once, YOU don't understand how something works! You should go to the documentation before posting!

Check the link:
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_gui.startup

Note this part:
# NAMES.ORA Configuration
File:/install/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/network/admin/names.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

NAMES.SERVER_NAME = sun1_onames.oracle.com

NAMES.ADDRESSES =
  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sun1.oracle.com)(PORT = 1575))

NAMES.ADMIN_REGION =
  (REGION =
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sun1.oracle.com)(PORT = 1521))
      (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = V805)(Server = Dedicated))
    )
    (USERID = names)
    (PASSWORD = names)
[Quoted]     (NAME = LOCAL_REGION)
    (REFRESH = 86400)
    (RETRY = 60)
    (EXPIRE = 600)
    (VERSION = 134230016)

  )

No, you DO NOT need a connection to a region database in order to use Oracle Names! It's definitely recommended, but is NOT required to function as a Names server, and if you're going to use one, you do it in the NAMES.ADMIN_REGION, NOT the NAMES.ADDRESSES, which is where the Names server is listening! 1575 is the default and correct port (if he configures it so) for the Names server.

"If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't reply in this fashion."