Re: Getting the IP address of a client over the web

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 5 Jun 2002 15:10:05 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3CFCDBA9.28ACA7EF_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
>
> > Posted this on the oracle.server board. Probably the wrong place. I
> > think Im looking for a forms level way to do this.
> >
> > I need to be able to get the IP address of a web client who is
> > accessing our web forms(we are using APACHE and not IAS) and have it
> > stored in a variable in some way for later use.
> >
> > SYS_CONTEXT does not work with the web. Just gives me the IP address
> > of the server. I would greatly prefer to do this in PL/SQL and not
> > with a Javabean(since I dont really know Java).
> >
> > Also, we have more than one user logging in with the same account. I
> > have no control over this and no way to change it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ryan
>
> I am going to make one more attempt to help you and then I am washing my
> hands of the whole thing. It is extremely frustrating to give someone
> the answer to their problem several times and have them ignore it.
>
> -- the procedure
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE logproc IS
>
> addr VARCHAR2(20);
>
> BEGIN
> IF (ora_sysevent = 'LOGON') THEN
> addr := ora_client_ip_address;
> END IF;
>
> -- then get the session information from v_$session and insert the
> lot into a table.
> -- You can later query this table to get the IP Address whenever you
> need it.
> END logproc;
> /
>
> -- the trigger that executes it
> CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER logintrig
> AFTER logon ON DATABASE
> CALL logproc
> /
>
> Daniel Morgan

I understand your solution, however, management prefers that i not use database code. Therefore, I first have to search for an alternative solution. If I cannot come up with one, then Ill use the database code.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 00:10:05 CEST

Original text of this message