Re: Unable to do download of 9iDS release 2 from technet

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 14:41:06 -0600

For what it's worth, I was able to get this thing figured out with some assistance from the nice people at Oracle who monitor their Metalink forums. It turns out that my use of Netscape to perform the downloads is faulty. I tried the 10-part download using IE, and everything is just peachy now. The resultant file sizes using IE are exactly 100,000,000 bytes as advertised on the OTN download page, but the sizes vary when I use Netscape. Apparently, Netscape is adding bytes to every download file and thereby corrupting it.

This didn't happen when I downloaded 9iAS, though. Curious.

Anyway, I'm on my way to a successful installation of 9iDS on my Win2000 machine. I'm sure you're thrilled. ;-)

Bye,
TG

Thomas Gaines wrote:

> Can someone assist me, please? I'm doing my best to download release 2
> of the "Oracle9i Developer Suite Release 2 (9.0.2)" for Windows from
> Oracle's
> technet site
> (http://technet.oracle.com/software/products/ids/htdocs/winsoft.html)
> but I'm having trouble putting the pieces together into something
> meaningful.
>
> There are some nine file fragments of approximately 100,000k apiece and
> a batch file that puts them all together. The resultant file is
> 9.0.2iDS_Win32.exe, but I'm unable to do anything with it. It's not a
> self-extracting zip file nor a regular zip file. I can't execute the
> thing
> at the command line, and so now I'm stuck. Help!!!
>
> To eliminate the chances of an incomplete download of one of the nine
> parts, I did the whole thing twice. Each of my parts is the exact same
> size as the other, and the resulting big file is the same size, too.
> I'm convinced that
> the file integrity is okay.
>
> The technet instructions read as follows:
> 1.Download the software (listed above) into a temporary directory.
> 2.Run file10.bat.
> 3.Run 9.0.2.ids_win32.exe. <-- I can't do this. A command window
> complains that "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." and a
> doubleclick simply creates a window that pauses for a second and
> disappears.
> 4.Run setup.exe (located in the \disk1 directory).
> 5.Refer to the Oracle9i Developer Suite Release 2 (9.0.2) Installation
> Guide for more details about installation, configuration, and migration.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed?
>
> Thanks,
> TG

Thomas Gaines
Professional Research Assistant / Senior DBA
CIRES, NGDC/NOAA
303.497.3798  (office)
303.912.1241  (cell)
thomas.gaines_at_noaa.gov