Re: Starting Career as an Oracle DBA

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 01:23:02 GMT

I cannot stress this enough. DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON ORACLE DBA CLASSES! YOU WILL NOT GET A JOB! DBA is not an entry level job. A CEO is not an entry level job either and top DBAs make as much money as CEOs of mid-size companies.

Any company who tells you to take a DBA class is out to steal your money. The people telling you about all the opportunity are either lying or stupid(usually both). There are NO jobs for people without other technical experience.
Dont let them steal your money. This is easy to test. Send your resume out(use a different name) and put down some info about learning DBA in a class blah, blah, blah... do a little research you can come up with some buzzwords. Do it for a few months. You may get a few calls but it will be from recruiters who dont know how to read a resume.

Also, the economy is VERY slow. There really are not an entry level jobs out there unless you have a computer science degree(or related) or have a Top Secret Clearance. Even before the recession there were problems. There are SO many of these little 3-4 month Oracle courses that the market is flooded. Throw in the large number of immigrants brought in over the last year years(this is not an anti-immigrant post.. so dont go there) and its incredibly hard to get into the business. So hard that maybe 5-10% of people who take these Oracle classes will ever get jobs over atleast the next few years.

I wrote a small article for a DC area PC group a few months ago. Take a look at it. Dont remember where it is in the newsletter. Please dont hold the typos against me. I expected this to be a rough draft and expected them to let me edit it before they published it.

www.cpcug.org/user/monitor/ISSUES/0203/0203_mon.pdf