default database over TCP/IP?

From: Aaron Birenboim <aaron_at_boim.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 07:13:18 -0600

[Quoted] [Quoted] Can I make the default oracle database (SID) be over a local TCP/IP network from the client?
Oracle support said no.... but I kind of doubt this. I think they just wanted to close the call.

We had (most) of our clients on the same machine as the server (Oracle 7.something). They just installed a new 9i server on a new machine. I'd like to get the clients (still on the old server machine) connecting to the new database as the first step in our migration to new hardware.

I have ORACLE_SID=hdb # this is our database name (SID) The old server is shut down.
The tnsnames.ora file is altered on the old machine to point

     to the new machine for hdb.
The new server is up and listening.

I CAN connect with:

     sqlplus user/password_at_hdb

I get errors with

     sqlplus user/password

I get the same error as above with our PRO*C clients which DO connect with the 'AT hdb' clause.

Is there not a way to set the default database to be across a TCP/IP network? How is using an 'AT' clause in pro*c different from saying _at_hdb with sqlplus?

Is there a magic word or phrase I can utter to get my oracle support request transfered to a real guru whose answers I can trust?

This is a case of Laziness and Impatience (as noted below). It will save a lot of work to NOT have to re-build, re-test, and re-install all the clients on the old machines. I'd rather focus on porting the clients to the new machines.

--
Aaron Birenboim | The top three attributes of a good programmer:
Albuquerque, NM |    Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris