Re: Multi-target data modeller and schema generator

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:17:23 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2002, jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a data modeller (ER diagrams +...) which can
> > generate DDL for multiple DBMSs. Oracle and SQL Server are a
> > must, but the more the merrier.
>
> Erwin does quite well.
>
> > A company I am doing some work for has a SQL Server based product that
> > they want to make more portable. I am porting it to Oracle for them,
> > and am also looking at general portability issues.
> >
> > If they are going to develop for and support the product on
> > multiple databases, they need a degree of automation on database
> > design which is where the tool comes in.
>
> Yes, Erwin is good for this and you might want to check out Model Mart
> so that multiple designers can collaborate on the same design.
>
> > I am aware of Erwin and ER/Studio but really need something
> > cheaper.
>
> Eh? I think its $2000 now. How much time do they think it will save
> them over the life of this product? Lets say you cost them $100/hr.
> That's 2.5 days worth of time. It will save you far more than 2.5
> days.
>
> --
> Galen deForest Boyer
> Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

This is absolutely consistent with so much management behavior. A $2000 tool is "too expensive" but they think nothing of a project taking six developers for six months. Two good senior developers at $150K per year are too expensive. But they can afford six to ten mediocre developers for $60K per year.

[Quoted] I can't wait until I teach the management course at the university next Winter Quarter. 30 hours to try to talk sense into managers.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 07:17:23 CEST

Original text of this message