Re: Multi-target data modeller and schema generator

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 23:40:21 -0500

[Quoted] On Thu, 30 May 2002, jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I am looking for a data modeller (ER diagrams +...) which can
> generate DDL for multiple DBMSs. Oracle and SQL Server are a
> must, but the more the merrier.

Erwin does quite well.

> A company I am doing some work for has a SQL Server based product that
> they want to make more portable. I am porting it to Oracle for them,
> and am also looking at general portability issues.
>
> If they are going to develop for and support the product on
> multiple databases, they need a degree of automation on database
> design which is where the tool comes in.

Yes, Erwin is good for this and you might want to check out Model Mart so that multiple designers can collaborate on the same design.

> I am aware of Erwin and ER/Studio but really need something
> cheaper.

Eh? I think its $2000 now. How much time do they think it will save them over the life of this product? Lets say you cost them $100/hr. That's 2.5 days worth of time. It will save you far more than 2.5 days.

--
Galen deForest Boyer