Re: Reverse engineer Oracle 8.1.7 and recreate problems

From: Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:41:50 -0400

I haven't round-tripped a database design in designer, but I've generated database from the tool. There are a number of reasons why you don't get a clean round trip. However, you can or could turn off index generation.

I expect you are running into the design rules built into designer. I don't think it will let you round-trip a database design which violates these rules without manual intervention. You will have to override the rules in the physical model.

  • You can override the default pluralization of table names. I did this on a project where the standard was singular table names. We stopped overriding the names when we couldn't create and use the ORDER table without a lot of problems. We notified the standards people what we were doing and didn't get any objections. (Our table contains the ORDERS for the system not an ORDER.)
  • Likewise designer has rules on the naming of indexes. You can override these values.
  • If I remember right the sequences script is not generated by default.