Re: Rman - tape backup.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:01:53 +0200

On Fri, 24 May 2002 11:11:50 +0100,
<44apples44_at_44apples44.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Dear oracle.tools,
>
>Does anyone have experience of using the rman tools to write directly to
>tape rather than to disk?
>The documentation refers to "media management software", can you recommend
>any?
>
>Is it a good idea to get rman to write directly to tape or is it always
>better to get rman to copy to disk and then write to tape?
>
>I'm on HPUX 11.00, oracle 8.0.6.
>
>Cheers
>Jon

media management software is backup software of 3rd party vendors, supporting Oracle's Media Management API. On HP-Ux this is, among others, HP's Omniback.

RMAN itself comes with Legato Storage Manager, which is a limited version of Legato Networker.
The problem with using LSM is, you now need to have 2 separate backups, as LSM doesn't integrate with fbackup. In this situation you will be almost *forced* to backup to disk, and have fbackup do the backup to tape.
We are currently in this situation, customer didn't buy Omniback, and we feel foced to backup to disk, because we can't synchronize RMAN with fback, as RMAN doesn't seem to return status codes.

8.0.6 has been desupped almost a year ago.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 24 2002 - 19:01:53 CEST

Original text of this message