Re: UTL_FILE.FOPEN on NT4

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:07:13 GMT

David Cox wrote:

> I would like to be able to test for the existence of a file on an NT4
> workstation which is running reports locally. I had hoped to use
> UTL_FILE.FOPEN and then look for an exception.
>
> All the discussions I have seen on UTL_FILE stress the importance of
> setting UTL_FILE_DIR in init.ora on the server, however that clearly
> relates to accessing files which are on the server or are mapped on the
> server.
>
> I am only interested in looking at files on the workstation. In Oracle
> PL/SQL Programming 2nd Ed Feuerstein and Pribyl it says (p961) "You can
> call UTL_FILE ... from within client-side application modules....You
> can, therefore interact with operating system files both on the local
> workstation (client) and on the server disks." Is this true?
>
> If so, has anyone got an example of some code which accesses files on a
> Windows workstation.
>
> Dave Cox
>
> --

In a Windows environment you would need to map your client machine as a drive on the server and then refer to it not as the 'C' drive (or however it is mapped locally) but rather as whatever drive it is mapped as from the standpoint of the server.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu May 23 2002 - 17:07:13 CEST

Original text of this message