Re: spool excel file with sql*plus

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 20 May 2002 17:16:03 +1000

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> writes:

> Mike Alba wrote:
>
> > How about using Oracle forms?
> > Or if you want to get more fancy
> > www.oraxcel.com
> >
> > bb wrote:

<snip>

> I would still like someone to tell me what they are doing with Oracle data in Excel
> that they couldn't do better in Oracle. Except, perhaps, cook the numbers.
>
> Daniel Morgan

I think its not so much a question of what you can or cannot do in xcel and what you can and cannot do in oracle as much as what users are more comfortable with. I've often written basic sql scripts which provide the basic data which managers/administrators then manipulate within excel because these managers/adminisrators have absolutely no knowledge of sql, RDBMS or oracle - in fact, generally they only know enough excel to get themselves into trouble!